Saturday, July 17, 2010

avoid pretty poison




There is nothing more organic looking and overall beautiful as a loved one framed by nature's canopy: albeit in the form of an old oak tree, tall and billowing grasses or a spreading and luscious vine. We are certain this is one of our more random posts, but we thought it might be truly helpful to the outdoor/natural light photographer to know (or be refreshed) on poison leaf identification! I (Kassie) must admit that I have untrained eyes.

I grew up romping in the pine forest laden with kudzu behind my childhood home. My cousin and I played Davey Crockett and built forts out of fallen trees and moss. And fortunately, oh so miraculously, I have never experienced the misery of rhus dermatitis- caused by poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. I know, I am a lucky tom-boy girl! I blame my never having been affected by it on not possessing a keen eye for identification. Lack of exposure is certainly not to blame! So I thought I would educate myself and the masses (a.k.a. all three of you) that read our blog!

This is certainly not comprehensive, but I wanted to share a bit of what I discovered.
pic 1) Virginia Creeper
pic 2) Poison Oak
pic 3) Poison Ivy
Virginia Creeper: I often mistake this local, prevalent beauty for poison ivy. Looking at them through these images, I wonder why I question myself since the differences are so obvious. Though when out and about with my allergic husband, I find myself more cautious. The similarities: All three are climbing vines (and poison ivy can be a free-standing shrub). The vine of poison ivy is rope-like as well. All three are often found at the base of trees. The visual differences: both poison ivy and oak have 3 leaves unlike their 5-leaf family member the VA creeper. Lastly, poison ivy and oak are often oily- though this isn't always the case.

Hopefully this is in some way helpful!
Most importantly, when in doubt, stay out! I made that up. :)